Germantown Jewish Centre (Link to Google Map)
400 West Ellet Street
Philadelphia, PA 19119
From Route 76 West/Schuylkill
- Expressway From Route 76 West, take Exit 340A for Lincoln Drive.
- Stay in the middle lane over the bridge and bear left at the first fork in the road, following the sign for Lincoln Drive.
- Continue on Lincoln Drive for 2.5 miles (approx. 10 traffic lights).
- You will pass the synagogue on the hill to your left.
- Turn left on Emlen Street (traffic light, corner of Lincoln Dr. and Ellet St.)
- Go halfway around the traffic island, turning right onto Ellet Street (up the hill).
- The synagogue is on the left, up the street one block at the stop sign at Cherokee St. (400 W. Ellet St.).
From New York/Northern New Jersey
- Take the New Jersey Turnpike south to the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Exit 6).
- Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike to Norristown (Exit 333).
- Take Germantown Pike East (which becomes Germantown Ave.).
- The exit is marked by a small sign on the right. Stay on Germantown Pike/Germantown Avenue for 6 miles.
- Turn right onto Cresheim Valley Road (which winds through a park).
- The park ends at the first traffic light and Cresheim Valley Road becomes Emlen Street.
- Continue on Emlen Street to the next light.
- At the light, turn right onto Mt. Pleasant Avenue.
- Go one block and turn left onto Cherokee Street.
- Cherokee Street dead ends at Ellet Street, directly facing the synagogue.
From Southern New Jersey and East
- Cross the Benjamin Franklin Bridge into Philadelphia and stay to the left.
- Follow the signs for 676 West (Vine Street Expressway).
- Take this road, which flows into 76 West (Schuykill Expressway).
- Stay on 76 West and follow signs for Valley Forge.
- Then follow directions above for Route 76 West.
From City Avenue
- Take City Line Avenue East to Lincoln Drive.
- Follow directions above from 76/Schuylkill from second instruction (Lincoln Drive).
From Delaware/Main Line Area and South
- Take I-95 North through Delaware.
- Take Route 476 north to the Plymouth Meeting/Germantown Pike exit (Exit 19).
- This exit leads to a dead end at the first traffic light (Germantown Pike).
- Turn right onto Germantown Pike. Follow the directions from New York/New Jersey.
From Harrisburg and West
- Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike to Norristown (Exit 333).
- Follow the directions above from New York/Northern New Jersey.
SEPTA: Walking Directions from Carpenter Lane Train Station
- From Center City, take the Chestnut Hill West train toward Chestnut Hill.
- Exit at the Carpenter Lane station (may be called simply Carpenter).
- After exiting train, turn right and walk down steps to street (this is Carpenter Lane).
- Turn right and walk under the tracks (bridge).
- At first corner (half block), turn right on Emlen Street.
- Walk one block to traffic light (at Lincoln Drive) and cross street to traffic circle.
- Turn left at Ellet Street (walk up the hill).
- Synagogue is half a block on the left side.
Bus Route Information
- The H Bus stops one block from the synagogue at the corner of Ellet and McCallum Streets.
- Walk east on Ellet Street to the stop sign (if you're heading toward Cheltenham, it's to your right; if you're heading toward Nicetown, cross Ellet Street to your left).
- Synagogue is on the right side.
- The H runs between Erie Station (Tioga/Nicetown) and Cheltenham and Rte. 309 (at Ogontz Ave.).
Getting Around the Centre
Charry Sanctuary Directions
There are three ways to reach to Charry Sanctuary. You may enter through the large glass doors (when facing the building from Ellet Street at Cherokee Street, use the walkway that goes to the right at the fork; this entrance is to the right of the school building/main office entrance). Once you have entered through those doors, walk down the steps to your left, continue straight through the Charry Lobby, and the Charry Sanctuary entrance will be in front of you. If you park in the lot (enter the parking lot through the driveway located on the right side of the building when facing the building from Ellet Street), or need a wheelchair accessible entrance, please enter through the doors located to the right of the driveway as you exit the parking lot. From there, walk into the Charry Lobby, and the Charry Sanctuary will be on your right. You may also enter through the school/office entrance, which is located to the left of the fork in the sidewalk on Ellet Street at Cherokee Street. Once you’ve entered the building, turn right, and walk through the silver doors to the Magil Chapel vestibule, and the Charry Sanctuary will be on your left.
Marcus Auditorium Directions
You can find the Marcus Auditorium in two ways. You may enter through the large glass doors (when facing the building from Ellet Street at Cherokee Street, use the walkway that goes to the right at the fork; this entrance is to the right of the school building/main office entrance). Once you have entered through those doors, continue walking up the stairs to your left through the Silver Kiddush Lounge landing, and up another flight of stairs to your left. Alternatively, you may enter through the parking lot side of the building, walk through the Charry Lobby, and go up the stairs from there. You can also ride the elevator from the Charry Lobby up to the 3rd floor. In the Charry Lobby, the elevator is located on your left from the Judaica display cabinet. When you exit the elevator on the 3rd floor, the Marcus auditorium is through the doors on your left.
Maslow Auditorium Directions
To find the Maslow Auditorium, please enter through the school/office entrance. Walk up the stairs and turn right. Walk through the double doors and turn right. Go up two steps and through the door straight ahead.
Temin Canteen Room Directions
There are two ways to find the Temin Canteen Room.
- Enter through the school/office entrance. Walk down the steps and through the glass door on the left. About halfway down the hall there will be a door marked Temin Canteen. Go through the door and down the stairs. You will be standing in the entrance to the Temin Canteen Room.
- From the playground (located on the far left side of the building, when facing the building from Ellet Street) enter through the door. Walk down the ramp and through the double doors. You will be in the Temin Canteen Room.
Quitman Library Directions
To find the Quitman Library, please enter through the school/office entrance and walk up the stairs. The library is in front of you, towards the left.
Musical Marching Minyan (Room 207) & Ginat Shabbat (Room 204) Directions
To find the Musical Marching Minyan and Ginat Shabbat services, please enter through the school/office entrance, walk down the steps and through the glass door on the left. Ginat Shabbat meets in Room 204, about halfway down the hall on the left. Musical Marching Minyan meets in Room 207, about halfway down the hall on the right.